A couple of weeks ago my pal Beth told me about a little boy named Superman Sam: he’s 6 years old and currently fighting AML, otherwise known as Acute Myeloid Leukemia. AML also happens to be the same kind of Leukemia I had at 19. Before she was finished, I was ready to help.
So how am I planning to help? Well it turns out that Superman Sam’s mom is on a mission. Here’s an excerpt from her blog:
"If you want to help me show Sam how many people are on his team, so he can feel the love:
Take a photograph of yourself wearing your favorite superhero shirt
(or holding up their logo…or just smiling!)
Print out the picture.
Put it in an envelope and mail it to:
Sam Sommer, E571
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
P.O. Box 1997
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201-1997
We will hang all the pictures on Sam’s wall…Team Superman Sam!"
Well, of course I was ready to pass it on and I agreed to ask my clients to don a cape for the cause during their sessions. But deep down I wanted to do more.
So, how can we get a bunch of people in the same place to get their photos snapped in superhero attire for Sam? Easy! We’ll throw a party! And guess what? You’re invited!
Join us this Friday at Little Beans Cafe for all the fun…
Picture Party for Superman SamFriday, July 13th, 2012 from 3pm to 6pm at Little Beans Cafe (1809 W. Webster, Chicago)
Admission is $8 and includes complimentary pizza and ice cream. All attendees will receive one web sized digital image of their little superhero, compliments of Bum Bul Bee Photo + Films. All images will be printed and sent to Superman Sam for his superhero wall.
Bring your own cape or borrow one of ours! We’ll have all the gear you need to get your little one photo ready! Just bring yourselves and get ready to smile!
The first thing you notice about little J is that she’s a ball of energy! She zips around the room, a tiny giggling blur of pink pleats and curls.
When she takes a breather and curls up on the couch with her mama the second thing you notice is her gorgeous eyes. They’re steely blue and green, striking, and framed with most delicate lashes. She’s quite a beauty that little one.
I met the D family bright and early one sunny Friday morning for a mini session at their home and I have to just take a moment to swoon over their house. It’s a gem, completely restored with the most amazing tin tile ceilings. Tin tile! See that? I’m swooning. I love tin tile. You can just barely see it in the third photo. Take a peek…Read More »
This last week, I did a little guest blogging piece on taking better photos for Baby Gizmo. I also wrote a piece about my favorite things.
To check out the photo tip post, click here.
And below are a few of the images that went with the piece. Including my favorite bag of the moment and a couple of my favorite images. To hear a little back story about how I got these shots be sure to check out the post…
And stay tuned for my post on My Favorite Things…
One of my all time faves…
Kids love ducks…
Itty bitty baby parts…
My bag du jour…
Read More »
As soon as I met the M Family, I knew we were very in sync. Like-minded if you will. I walked in the door and they were playing She & Him…on the turntable. I liked them instantly.
While Dad M started making me the most heavenly cappuccino I’ve ever tasted, Mom M and I chatted about their upcoming session and even more excitedly, about their film.
I should add that when I met the M Family, there were only two of them. We had originally planned to do a maternity film. The day before we were scheduled to begin production, Baby M was born.
Even though the story took some reworking, I couldn’t be happier with it. It is such a joy for me to see it come to life. And both of the M’s were so lovely to work with to get to know. I have the greatest appreciation of them for taking this little journey with them.
So without further adieu, check it out and afterwards, be sure to scroll beneath the player to see photos from Baby M’s newborn session.
Read More »
June marks the beginning of something new & super cool! It’s the official launch of our brand new Newsletter! You may have seen us talking about it on Facebook or signed up at an event, either way, it’s got people buzzing & we thought we’d take a minute to tell you all about it…
Our Newsletter, aptly named “This Week’s Buzzz” will come out weekly and will be jam packed with lots of cool stuff, like exclusive giveaways, discounts, celebrity musings & fabulous articles featuring everything from reviews, recipes, photography tips & more. Here’s a run down:
- Giveaways: Every week our readers will get the first chance to sign up for our weekly giveaways. And we have a TON of good stuff, like memberships to some the city’s best organizations, buzzworthy products, clothing, bags, tickets, you name it, we’ve been working hard to get it so we can just give it away!
- Discounts: Every month we will highlight one local business & offer exclusive discounts just to our readers. These deals can only be found in our newsletter. Our current roster includes, stores, restaurants & so much more!
- Reviews: A while back we teamed up with Cindy McCarthy from On the Go Chicago. Her reviews are first rate and every week you’ll get one in your inbox telling you what’s the good, the bad, & who’s really kid friendly!
- Recipes: Along with fun recipe contests, we’ll be getting our hands dirty & hitting some local kitchens to deliver you some kid friendly, easy recipes from local food talents.
- Photography Tips: This new series will aim to share what we know with our readers. We’ve got a ton of composition, lighting & Photoshop tips as well as advice on what you should have in your camera bag.
- Redbox: We’ve teamed up with Redbox to bring you “This Week’s Movie Quote”. A little movie trivia game that will net some readers free rentals from Redbox!
- Celebrities: Every week we’ll bring you a tip or a musing from someone we admire. Whether they’re a national or local, we’re excited to share their thoughts with you.
With our official launch just around the corner, we’re hard at work compiling issues & we just can’t wait to share them with you. We hope you’ll join us in this fun venture & share it with your friends too. You can look for our first newsletter to drop on June 2, 2012.
& if you haven’t signed up yet, it’s a breeze!
Read More »